Saturday, January 5, 2008

Gensis 4

Hello Everyone! I have a question coming from Gensis 4:10-16. Particularly when "Cain said to the Lord, 'My punishment is more than I can . Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."

Is Cain worrying about his unborn brothers and sisters and their descendants that might harm him years down the line when they reach adulthood, if they leave their land and disperse across the earth? Historically, the only humans on earth were Adam, Eve and Cain after he killed Abel and was having this conversation of God. Anyone have any suggestions as to how we might explain his worry of "whoever finds me" to our unbelieving friends that just read that Adam and Eve were the first of mankind to be created and Cain the first son? Maybe Cain doesn't know that he was the first born son of the first man and woman ever created? (The Bible doesn't mention the first daughters born to man. Maybe there were some fierce women Cain needed to be afraid of? Some dangerous older sisters?) [kidding =-]

3 comments:

Jan said...

Hmmmmm, good questions Danah. The NIV Life Applications Bible explains it this way. "We have heard about only 4 people so far - Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel. Two questions arise: Why was Cain worried about being killed by others, and where did he get his wife (see 4:17)? Adam and Eve had numerous children; they had been told to "fill the earth"(1:28). Cain's guilt and fear over killing his brother were heavy, and he probably feared repercussions from his family. If he was capable of killing, so were they. The wife Cain chose may have been one of his sisters or a niece. The human race was still genetically pure, and there was no fear of side effects from marrying relatives."

Jan said...

Hi Danah,
I just found a bit more on the subject from the Christian Apologetics link I have on the main blog page:
In Genesis 5:4 we see that Adam had other sons and daughters.

"This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day when God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. 2He created them male and female, and He blessed them and named them Man in the day when they were created. 3When Adam had lived one hundred and thirty years, he became the father of a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and named him Seth. 4Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had other sons and daughters. 5So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years, and he died," (Gen. 5:1-5).
Since Adam lived several hundred years, having lots of children was not a problem. The Genesis account does not tell us about the order of the births nor does it tell us how old they were. By having many children it is certainly possible that there were many women around.

Danah said...

Thanks Jan! That was very helpful. When I consider that the fact that we don't have time lines it makes more sense why he was worried. Please we clearly don't know when Cain killed Abel. (ie how old Cain and Abel were) My Bible says that Cain, Abel and Seth were the first sons of Adam and Eve, and while we know that they had many other children we don't know when, so it is quite plausible I think that he could have been afraid of retaliation from his family. If they were like 30 when it happened and Adam & Eve just kept popping out babies after Seth...now wait. Seth came after Cain killed Abel. I think I might just resolve to say that the Bible I'm reading causes extra confusion by saying that Cain, Abel and Seth were the first sons of Adam and Eve. Because by saying that one can only assume that there aren't any other people for Cain to really be worried about unless Abel had kids, because Seth would have been an infant, if born at all or if there were some other people than Adam & Eve which opens up a whole can of unbiblical worms! So, I guess I need to pray about some more or ignore the commentary in this Bible that says "first sons." Err.