Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thanks

Jan- thank you so much for helping me begin the New Year correctly! Genesis is a great way to start- all the 'classic' stories are there, and remind me of where we all came from! My bible is now on my stamp table- to remind me that it has first priority. I enjoyed this week, and thank you for all the prep work you did to get us going! Bless you!

2 comments:

Danah said...

Hi Pat! I agree, big thanks to Jan for organizing all of this! I was in Barnes and Noble yesterday and came across a devotional one year bible with some great daily personal applications to go along with the readings. I thought you might be interested in them, I surely was!

Here are the condensed versions for the days we have read:
Jan. 1 - As you read about the tragic fall of our perfect ancestors, watch the progression of temptation and sin. Then determine to obey God rather than believe Satan's lies. Resist Satan and his temptations, and live.
Jan. 2 - As you read the passage, learn from Cain's mistakes. Then the next time someone suggests you are wrong, especially God, take an honest look at yourself, and make the necessary changes.
Jan. 3 - As you read this passage, note God's covenant with Noah to keep him safe and God's promise to the world. Then determine to do what God tells you to do, despite opposition, trusting him to bring you through flood.
Jan. 4 -As you read, check out the attitudes of the builders in the story, and consider and "towers" that you may be building. Tear down anything that stands in God's place.
Jan. 5 - As you read this passage, watch Abram live by faith. And think of where God may be trying to lead you to better serve him. Don't let the comfort and security of your present position make you miss God's plan for you. Be flexible and willing to change.

I like to alter the devotions a little after reading them and turn them into prayer responses to God. For example on, Jan 5 I'd prayer some like...
"Lord, I love you and I live by faith. Father please reveal to me and help me to see where you might be leading me to better serve you. Help me to not allow comfort and security to make me miss your plan's for me. I seek your will for my life Lord. Help me to be flexible and willing to change. Thank you Jesus for your love and your guidance. Thank you for your Word. In your name I pray..."

I don't know. I just love devotionals and felt compelled to share for no real reason. If it's useful take it, if not leave it. lol

Blessings in your reading, understanding and application of the Bible!

=-Danah

Pat Smethers said...

Hi Danah! I am completely new to 'blogging', so I did not see your note til today! Thank you so much. I love devotionals also. I have been using Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest" for two years. I absolutely love it and find that there is no "coincidences" in God's world. He does EVERYTHING on purpose! When I read the Word and the devotional, I always think 'How could God know I would need this exact Word today?' The I laugh at myself. Thanks for sharing your devotional with me! Take Care-
Pat